Fundraising

Fundraising Total Raised to date: $975

Saturday, May 3, 2014

My Blue Ride

The most important piece of equipment when attempting a ride such as LEJOG, other than the rider is the bike.
Last year when I started seriously considering attempting LEJOG  I had two bikes. My trusty 20 year old chromoly steel Raleigh Pioneer Trail Hybrid and a  2011 Windsor Fens aluminum road bike. I could make the ride on either of these but each has disadvantages.
The Raleigh, which I completed the C&O canal ride on in 2010, is heavy (35lbs), has wide slow tires and is geared for off roading. The Fens is lightweight by comparison, tipping the scales at about 21lbs, whilst significantly lighter the drawback is it is more fragile and not ideal for ANY off road trails, tarmac is preferred the smoother the better especially with 23mm tires. Wider tires would help with off road but the largest the Fens can accommodate are 25mm wide. Based on my size and the possible terrain 28mm tires are a must.

So I drew up a list of my requirements for a suitable ride:-

Lightweight
Accommodate 28mm tires
Rugged Frame
Use road bike groupset
Suitable for primarily road use but comfortable on off road surfaces.

So after exploring the options, and not wishing to spend an arm and a leg I decided on building my ride from the frame up.


The Finished Bike


Here is the finished item.













Blue Norcross SP Cylcocross aluminum frame and carbon fiber forks
Shimano 105 Front and Rear Derailleurs
FSA Compact Double Front Chain Set (50 / 34)
Shimano 105 10 speed cassette (11-27)
Avid Shorty 4 front and rear brakes
Vuelta HD Road Wheels
Continental Gatorskin 700 x 28 Tires
Nashbar 10 Speed Brifters

Having completed the build of "Blue" late last year I have been able to ride on many of the types surfaces I expect to encounter and have experienced no issues. Plus I managed to keep the weight down to approx 24 - 25lbs. The only change planned prior to LEJOG is to swap the cassette from the 11-27 to a 12-30 Tiagra . This is to provide a little lower gearing for some of the steep climbs I know I will encounter, especially in Cornwall and Devon.

No comments:

Post a Comment