Fundraising

Fundraising Total Raised to date: $975

Monday, June 9, 2014

3 Days to the Start

Well with just 3 days left to the start of my adventure I have to admit to being a little nervous. Not with the ride itself but with the logistics of getting man and more importantly the machine to the UK.

This into.....
This evening I closed up the box containing my bike and sealed it tight, with enough shipping tape and bubble wrap being used to keep Staples profits up. Now I just have to concentrate on the clothes packing.


this.
When asked about taking my own bike for this adventure many people have been surprised that I am not shipping it as freight but rather taking it as part of my luggage allowance. All I can say is that British Airways cater to the cyclist and allow bikes to be taken as part of the regular luggage allowance. This is a huge saving over some other airlines fees for bikes and a saving of almost $600 roundtrip of the freight charges. So thank you BA.

I'll blog later on how the bike shipping goes, keeping fingers crossed here.

On another note, yesterday I rode in the Air Force Classic Challenge Ride. It was a great ride on a closed road 9.5 mile loop from Crystal City, to Rosslyn and back going via the Air Force Memorial and the Pentagon. Weather conditions were perfect for the approx. 2000 riders. I managed 6 laps of the much improved circuit in just user 3 hours with an average speed of 19.5 mph covering a total of 56 miles.

View back from start back along Crystal Drive



No comments:

Post a Comment