Fundraising

Fundraising Total Raised to date: $975

Friday, June 20, 2014

Day 7 Lancaster to Carlisle

The all important stats for the last full day in England are:

Miles: 70.1
Climbing: 3569 ft
Average Speed: 12.8 mph
Max Speed: 34.3 mph
Time Riding: 5 hr 29 mins
Total Duration: 7 hr 44 mins
Steepest Gradient: 10.1%




Day 7 (Thursday) is the day that many dread or at least look forward to the least, the climb up and over Shap. But before I attempted Shap I had to get there. All I can say is that the ride up from Lancaster was a delight. Taking the Lancaster canal north to Carnforth was much slower than using the A6 but the views were worth it. Such a wonderful pace to life on the canals.






After leaving the canal I meandered along country lanes, avoiding the A6, making my way slowly to Kendal. Arriving there just before lunch I stocked up on provisions before the assault on Shap.  The climb up to the summit of Shap from Kendal is 1200 feet. None of it is exceptionally steep , max grade 10%, but it is a long continuous climb. But the views on the way up, at the top and back down are worth it.



Kendal























Part way up I was joined by another LEJOGer, Mark  Booth from Lincolnshire, having someone to talk to on the climb psychologically made it easier. I ended up ride with Mark for a good portion of the remaining ride, only going our separate ways once we reached Carlisle my overnight stop.

This was by far my most satisfying day on the journey so far. The scenery was awesome, having a ride companion for a few hours was great as we discussed why we were both crazy enough to be doing this adventure and conquering Shape.


A Grand Day indeed.



At Shap Summit
























No comments:

Post a Comment