Fundraising

Fundraising Total Raised to date: $975

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Day 10 Callander to Fort William

Day 10 stats for the up and down journey from Callander to Fort William.

Miles: 81.1
Climbing: 3257 ft
Average Speed: 12.9 mph
Max Speed: 28.4 mph
Time Riding: 6 hr 18 mins
Total Duration: 8 hr 18 mins
Steepest Gradient: 14.3%

Coppice House
The ride today started out after a great nights stay and a hearty breakfast at the Coppice House B&B in Callander.  After retrieving Norman from his secure accommodation for the night I set off North West on NCN 7.












NCN 7 was a mixed bag for me and Norman, some of the trail is paved or crushed compacted gravel fine with 28mm tires but in places it was really only suitable for 32 or even 35mm tires. The upside of the trail though is it passes through some wonderful countryside providing for some great views.








 After crossing the Glen Ogle viaduct NCN7 turns north but the old rail bed continues and is marked as a trail joining the A85 5 miles on. This I learnt is not the case. The trail does indeed continue but the surface gradually worsens and finally peters out in a sheep field. I had two choices at this point, retrace my route back up the hill for maybe 3 miles or cut across the farm land  to the A85. This is exactly what I ended up doing, requiring me to lift Norman over two fences and push him through two fields full of sheep and cattle, thankfully no Bulls.
Once back on firm paved road I made good progress on the A85 to Crianlarich. Conscious of yesterday's poor lunch I stopped here and ate a more substantial meal and then head onto the A82 which I would follow for 50 miles to Fort William.









The A82 climbs up to Rannoch Moor at 1100ft, the climb is certainly worth it as the scenery is stunning.  After crossing the moor the road drops back down to Loch Leven. It was on this descent that I encountered the first rain of this LEJOG, it hardly amounted to more than a brief shower not requiring me to done the wet weather gear.

 After reaching Loch Leven I had only 20 miles to go to Fort William, which was a fast run in due to the wind now blowing from the south pushing me onwards.



1 comment:

  1. What an incredibly beautiful country Barnes... it's been a pleasure "keeping up" with you...

    ReplyDelete